Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) – Program Application for Fall 2019 Admission
The BA in Social Work is a two-year (four semester) program designed for full-time study. Students are admitted during the Fall Semester only. As a cohort group, students typically begin and end the program at the same time, and are expected to complete their BASW degree requirements in two years.
The application process and requirements are slightly different for continuing SFSU students and for students who are transferring to SFSU. Please follow the links below to find more information specific to your situation.
- Application Information for Continuing SFSU Students
- Application Information for Student Transferring to SFSU
Submitting your supplemental application (All applicants)
A complete supplemental application to the BASW Program must include:
- A fully completed and signed application form. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Copies of transcripts (unofficial is accepted) from all college or university work completed. Include proof that all five prerequisites (Human Biology, Macroeconomics, Psychology, Sociology, and 2nd year English composition) have been completed and/or a statement that they will be completed by the time the student begins the program.
- A written personal statement that documents interest in or experience with social work and human services; addresses community service, civic engagement, and voluntarism; indicates values and commitment to the profession; and reveals educational goals consistent with the School’s mission
- A resume
- Letter of reference
- The BASW application must be completed no later than Monday, December 17, 2018.
Please carefully read and follow all instructions. Before submitting an application, please do a detailed check for completeness and accuracy.
Applicants must collate all the materials listed in the checklist above and send them in a single packet. Reference letters in sealed envelopes should be included in the packet, not mailed directly to the SSW. Incomplete packets will not be read by the Admissions Committee. After assembling the entire packet of materials, the applicant may personally hand in or mail applications, transcripts, personal statements and references to the School of Social Work. All materials must be submitted by the due date (postmarked by 11:59 pm on December 17, 2018). Late materials or submissions will not be accepted or considered.
Please mail or drop off your applications to:
School of Social Work, HSS 222
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
The CalState Apply application is due on November 30, 2018.
The BASW Supplemental Application is due on Monday, December 17, 2018.
For more information see the Student Resource Center's Flyer on BASW