MSW ADMISSIONS Fall 2018
MSW Program Information Session
The MSW Progroam Information Session has passed. Presentations from these sessions can viewed on our Info Sessions Videos page.
MSW Program Application Expectations
- Admission to the MSW program requires that you have earned a baccalaureate degree from a college or university that has been accredited by a recognized regional accrediting association.
- Must have a GPA at or above 3.0
- International Applicants must submit TOEFL scores by January 5th, 2018. (For applicants who previously obtained either a Bachelor's or Master's from an US institution this requirment is waived)
- Incomplete, late applications, and/or late supporting documents will not be accepted or reviewed.
- Service experience is not required but is a plus.
- GRE is not required.
MSW Program Information
If you received your baccalaureate degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, the School of Social Work will review your transcript to determine courses that you should not repeat and therefore those courses will be waived. Additional courses/electives will need to replace those classes waived. The total required credit count for graduation is 60 credits/units.
The SF State School of Social Work does not grant course credit for life experience or previous work experience.
MSW Program Application Process
Please note: The MSW Program online application process has been simplified into a single application for SFSU Graduate Studies and the School of Social Work. Please note: CSUMentor has been replaced by CalState Apply.
- Apply to SFSU through CalState Apply
- Application opens October 1, 2017
- MSW Application and all other required supplemental supporting documents are due no later than: Friday, January 5th, 2018, before 11:59PM.
All documents and questions related to the MSW program are located in the Program Materials section of the application. Each tab of Program Materials has detailed instructions on how to complete that section. Read all instructions very carefully before completing documentation. For detailed instructions about the CalState Apply application process, please read our Tips for CalState Apply and go to the Graduate Studies Website
MSW Application and Supporting Documents
Updated: September 28th, 2017
For MSW Applicants applying to the Title IV-E Stipend Program, please read the Title IV-E Admission Guideline first.
If you are interested in learning more about the profession of social work and all of the possibilities that the degree has to offer, please click on any of the links below.