MSW Fall 2022 Admissions
Application opens October 1, 2021 on CalState Apply
You may apply for one of two areas of MSW program emphasis:*
IFG (Individuals, Families and Groups)
Title IV-E MSW Program
*All applications for the MSW program are reviewed with regard to admission for the Individuals, Families, and Groups emphasis. Individuals choosing to apply for the Title IV-E program must submit supplemental information specified in CalState Apply. In the event that an applicant is not selected for the Title IV-E Stipend program, their application is still considered for admission to the IFG emphasis.
MSW Program Application Considerations:
- Admission to the MSW program requires that you have earned a baccalaureate degree from a college or university that has been accredited by a recognized regional accrediting association.
- Must have a GPA at or above 3.0 in undergraduate degree or in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units completed.
- International Applicants must submit TOEFL scores. (For applicants who previously obtained either a Bachelor’s or Master’s from a U.S. institution this requirement is waived)
- Volunteer experience is not required but is a plus.
- GRE Test is not required.
In preparation for your Cal State Apply requirements, we have provided the resume template (download here) in advance for your consideration.
MSW Program Information
If you received your baccalaureate degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, the School of Social Work will review your transcript to determine courses that may be waived due to redundancy. Additional courses/electives will need to replace those classes waived. The total required credit count for graduation is 60 credits/units.
The SF State School of Social Work does not grant course credit for life experience or previous work experience.
Please see MSW Roadmap here
MSW Program Application Process
Please note: The MSW Program online application process has been simplified into a single application for SFSU Graduate Studies and the School of Social Work.
Apply to SFSU through CalState Apply
- Application opens October 1, 2021
- MSW Application and all other required supplemental supporting documents are due no later than: January 09, 2022 before 8:59 pm PST
All documents and questions related to the MSW program are located in the Program Materials section of the Cal State Apply website. Each tab of Program Materials has detailed instructions on how to complete that section. Read all instructions very carefully before submitting documentation.
Please check your email for a notification when your referee has submitted the letter of reference. You are responsible to follow up with your referees to make sure that the required letter of references are submitted by the deadline.
For questions about letter of reference submission and to learn about developing an impressive application, personal statement, resume, and upcoming workshops, please review CalState Apply Tips.
Social Work Profession
If you are interested in learning more about the profession of social work and all of the possibilities that the degree has to offer, please click on any of the links below.